San Pablo Talk Back

San Pablo, California

  • Our Purpose

    This blog is for us, the people of San Pablo and guests, to share information and concerns about our city, our government, our schools, our neighborhoods, our businesses, our religious centers, and any and all issues we deem important. It is also for us to ‘talk back’ to each other and government about the issues and questions that concern us. We commit to be respectful of each other. There is much we can accomplish working together.
  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 23 other followers

SAN PABLO DEBATE CANCELED

Posted by xaviervir on September 5, 2010

TODAY’S WEST COUNTY TIMES, PG.A23 :

San Pablo council race pits eminent domain foe against two incumbents

By Tom Lochner
Contra Costa Times

}
// ]]>tlochner@bayareanewsgroup.com

A scheduled San Pablo City Council candidates’ round table at the Contra Costa Television studios in Martinez never came off, as one candidate sent her regrets and another said the schedule conflicted with a long-standing appointment.

Three candidates are vying for two council seats in the Nov. 2 election.

Mayor Genoveva Garcia Calloway said yes to the invitation by the sponsor, the League of Women Voters; the debate was part of a series of local candidate debates taped in late August that was co-sponsored by Bay Area News Group.

Councilman Paul Morris, who recently had hip-replacement surgery, said he had a doctor’s appointment on the day of the taping.

Challenger Annabel Peterson said she thought about taking part, but decided that a week’s notice was not sufficient to prepare for someone unfamiliar with the debate format and process.

Calloway, a program manager for Contra Costa County’s mental health services, and Morris, a property manager, were first elected to the council in 2002 and were re-elected in 2006. Peterson, who has an architecture degree and currently is unemployed, has not run for the council before.

The council saw a surge in public participation earlier this year as it contemplated reinstating its eminent domain authority, which had lapsed in 2009. Peterson was among a vocal and organized group of opponents, backed


Advertisement
//

by the Virginia-based Institute for Justice and its advocacy arm, the Castle Coalition.The opponents feared the city would invoke eminent domain to toss residents out of their homes, notwithstanding an amendment to the state constitution that bars agencies from acquiring owner-occupied homes by eminent domain and transferring them to private entities.

City officials said they needed eminent domain as a last-resort tool to assemble sites for commercial and residential development, and offered to sign contracts with individual homeowners promising to abide by the constitutional prohibition.

But in May, the council, bending to the groundswell of opposition, voted down a package of amendments to the city’s redevelopment plans, including an ordinance that would have reinstated eminent domain; the council also gave City Manager Matt Rodriguez the green light for a “civic engagement process” to educate residents about the San Pablo Redevelopment Agency. Calloway and Morris, who previously had defended eminent domain and the city’s past use of it, joined in the 4-0 vote; Councilman Arturo Cruz abstained.

Contact Tom Lochner at 510-262-2760.

*Look for up-coming article by Annabel Peterson.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: